PI, IDG/McGovern Institute, Tsinghua University
Assistant Professor, School of Clinical Medicine, Tsinghua University
Associate Chief Physician, Beijing Tsinghua Changgung Hospital
Diffuse midline glioma, H3K27-altered (DMG), is a pediatric-type high-grade diffuse glioma that preferentially localizes to the brainstem or pons, thalamus, and spinal cord. Surgical resection is challenging and biopsy is often performed in most cases. To date, no conventional, targeted or immune therapy has been convincingly shown to improve patients’ overall survival. Effective treatment guideline is absent and remains to be established. Prognosis of DMG patients is poor and 2-year survival rate is <10%. We apply methods of epigenetics, molecular biochemistry, immunology and multi-omic to explore:
[Education & Experience]
- Chen WJ, Zhang X, Han H, Lv JN, Kang EM, Zhang YL, Liu WP, He XS, Wang J, Wang GH, Yu YB, Zhang W*. The different role of YKL-40 in glioblastoma is a function of MGMT promoter methylation status. Cell Death Dis. 2020; 11(8): 668-681.
- Zhang X, Zhang W#, Mao XG, Cao WD, Zhen HN, Hu SJ. Malignant Intracranial High Grade Glioma and Current Treatment Strategy. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2019; 19(2): 101-108.
- Zhang W, Fulci G, Wakimoto H, Cheema AT, Buhrman JS, Jeyaretna DS, Stemmer-Rachamimov AO, Rabkin SD, Martuza RL. Combination of Oncolytic Herpes Simplex Viruses Armed with Angiostatin and IL-12 Enhances Antitumor Efficacy in Human Glioblastoma Models. Neoplasia. 2013; 15(6):591-9.
- Zhang W, Fulci G, Buhrman JS, Stemmer-Rachamimov AO, Chen JW, Wojtkiewicz GR, Weissleder R, Rabkin SD, Martuza RL. Bevacizumab With Angiostatin-armed oHSV Increases Antiangiogenesis and Decreases Bevacizumab-induced Invasion in U87 Glioma. Mol Ther. 2012; 20(1):37-45.
- Zhang W, Kawanishi M, Miyake K, Kagawa M, Kawai N, Murao K, Nishiyama A, Fei Z, Zhang X, Tamiya T. Association between YKL-40 and adult primary astrocytoma. Cancer. 2010; 116(11):2688-97.
- Zhang W, Murao K, Zhang X, Matsumoto K, Diah S, Okada M, Miyake K, Kawai N, Fei Z, Tamiya T. Resveratrol represses YKL-40 expression in human glioma U87 cells. BMC Cancer. 2010; 10:593.
- Liu BL, Cheng JX, Zhang W#, Zhang X, Wang R, Lin H, Huo JL, Cheng H. Quantitative detection of multiple gene promoter hypermethylation in tumor tissue, serum, and cerebrospinal fluid predicts prognosis of malignant gliomas. Neuro Oncol. 2010; 12(6):540-8.